All of us talk about making kids do activities. But what is an activity ? An activity is something that you spend time doing. As per Google , " An activity is something that you do or just the state of doing ."
Engaging kids in various activities from the time they are babies is very important. You can easily plan small activities at home for your baby and toddlers. It will not only keep him engaged but also are very important for his overall development.
You do not need to buy expensive toys or materials to plan activities for babies and kids. You can make the most of what is available with you.
For small babies, you can try the following activities :
- Regular tummy time and floor play is very important for babies. Tummy time helps in developing muscle strength and control. It also helps in letting your baby see the world from a different perspective.
- Peekaboo :This is great for your baby's social and emotional development.
- Gentle tickles or with objects like feather or with objects like cloth or foam. This helps in the sense of touch.
- You can place a lot of different objects around your child. This will help your child in recognition of colour, size and shape. Also it will encourage your child to reach and grasp it.
- Sturdy furniture, toys or boxes. These can get your child crawling, standing or walking.
You can engage the toddlers with following activities :
- Dress up games, pretend play or make a tent out of a bed sheet. Let him use his imagination and have fun.
- Give him bubble wrap, cardboard boxes , kitchen utensils. Let him explore different material and their sounds.
- Put on your kids favourite music and let him dance.
- Give a lot of different coloured objects to your child and ask him to sort each colour.
You can engage preschoolers in following activities:
- Start with various alphabet and number activities with preschoolers. For eg, alphabet matching , number matching, circle the correct alphabet and number respectively.
- Jigsaw puzzles are the best to keep him occupied.
- You can involve him in helping you with household chores.
- The kids love sensory activities. Make a sensory bin at home with whatever material is available at home .
Physical Activity :
Along with indoor activities, it is very important for kids to go out and play. Regular physical activity helps in building strong bones and muscles and controls weight
Importance of activities for kids :
- If you do activities with your child from the time he is a baby, it becomes a routine for him.
- It brings in a sense of discipline and time that he has to finish an activity in a given set of time.
- The child is busy and doesn't ask for screen time.
- It improves his cognitive, fine motor , gross motor ,social and emotional skills.
- It build his imagination and he is able to think creatively.
- It improves his concentration and over all hand eye co-ordination.
Your child's early years are very important for his overall growth. Make the most of it and spend maximum time with him.