We are in the last month of 2019, another year is going to end. Very soon we will be welcoming 2020. As the new year approaches, many of us retrospect and make goals for the next year.
How was 2019 for you ? Do you make resolutions for the year and abide by them?
What are New Year Resolutions ?
According to Wikipedia, " A New Year Resolution is a tradition most common in the western hemisphere, but also found in the European hemisphere in which a person resolves to change an undesired trait or behaviour to accomplish a personal goal or otherwise improve their life. "
I like to set target and goals for myself. It motivates me to do better if I am able to achieve something. I have been making New Year Resolutions since I was a child. But then my resolutions used to be very simple, study properly and get good marks. But now definitely my perspective towards life has changed and so have my resolutions.
How to make goals which are achievable:
- Make a list of your goals. This can be your family, career, finances, health.
- Break the big goals into smaller goals.Smaller goals are easily achievable.
- Make them visible. Write your Goals somewhere where you can easily see them. This will be a constant reminder for you to achieve them.
- Adjust your goals periodically. While you are in the process of accomplishing your goals, take some to time re - evaluate your goals. Are you able to accomplish them in the given time frame ? Allow yourself some flexibility to achieve your goals.
- Make your goals measurable. For eg. if your target is to lose weight, make it quantifiable as to how many kgs you want to lose.
- Be realistic with your goals. Ask yourself whether you have everything to complete your goal - knowledge , skill, time , resources.
- Set priorities. This means if you have 5 goals to complete , prioritize which goal do you want to achieve first.
- Keep a track of your progress. Writing in a notebook is a great way to keep a track of your progress.
- Celebrate small accomplishments. Once you achieve small goals, celebrate your success. This will motivate you to do better.
So as the year is going to end, it is time to sit down and prepare a list of important changes you want to make in your lifestyle.
Here is a list of resolutions which you can make for the upcoming year.
Get in shape :
Losing weight is the top resolution for most of us. Exercising more and staying fit and healthy is something which most of us want to achieve.
Start eating healthier food and less food overall:
This is an extension of the previous point. Switching to a healthier diet can be incredibly tricky when we are surrounded by cheap junk food. But with a good amount of determination , one can slowly develop healthy eating habits.
The biggest barrier which keeps most people from reaching their goal is the desire to relax and do something fun instead of working hard. Once you get used to procrastinating, it is difficult to snap yourself out of it. You will need to put in a lot of work to change this bad habit.
Meet New People :
In today's busy life and routine, most of us usually end up staying at home, missing out on a lot of interesting opportunities to meet new people for networking and having fun. it can be beneficial to your mental well being and can also help your career.
Reduce Stress :
It is said that stress is one of the biggest killers and can have a very destructive effect on your relationships as well as your health.
Pick up useful skills or fun hobbies :
Just sitting around the whole day won't get you anywhere. It is much better to use your free time in a constructive manner and pick new skills, having fun at the same time.
If you are not punctual then make this your goal because being on time is a mark of a true professional and a dependable person.
My New Year Resolutions :
For the upcoming year I have some goals which I want to achieve :
Be regular with my exercise :
Although I goto the gym , I am not regular. I want to exercise at least 5 days a week. My target is to lose 6 Kgs in the next year.
Write more :
I have found my new love in writing. I want to continue writing and hopefully write a children's book.
Saying " No " to people:
I find it very difficult to say no to someone. But I have realized that people take advantage of you. So yes, this year I want to say no to people who take undue advantage.
Spend less time on Social Media :
I have realized that I spend too much time on social media. So this year I want to spend less time on social media .
Sleep on time :
I sleep very late and I have to wake up early morning to send mt son to school. So this year I want to sleep on time and get good 6-7 hours of quality sleep.
Spending more time with the family:
My husband is also very busy . But this year I have made a point that at least on weekends we will go out as a family and even at home we will spend more quality time with our son.
We have been planning to got Sri Lanka for a small holiday for along time but haven't been able to go. this year hopefully we will go.
My friend Sthuti has penned down some wonderful resolutions for 2020. Do give it a read
Have you made any new year resolutions yet ?
Would love to know about them. Please share in comments .
"This post is a part of the blogtrain #HerNewYearBlog , follow the hashtag to read varying and interesting perspectives of my fellow blogger friends on their new years."
#newyear #newyearresolutions #happiness