Are you worried about your child not eating properly? Is he a fussy eater? If yes, don't worry..you are not the only one !☺️ It can be very frustrating when your child doesn't eat properly, it is normal to get stressed out. My son is a very picky eater but slowly he is improving. Even when he was a baby, he used to be very fussy about the purees he ate 🙈
- The first thing should be to introduce a lot of fruit and vegetables to them when they are small.
- Take them for grocery shopping with you. Talk to them and involve them in the process of buying.
- Don't give them the same food everyday. Like adults, kids also get bored of eating the same food everyday. For eg. I make sure my son has one egg a day. So one day I give him scrambled egg, next day french toast, then maybe cheese omelette.
- If your child doesn't like vegetables, try and innovate. For eg. In your pizza sauce, you can add finely chopped onions, capsicums, zucchinis, brinjal. Or in mixed vegetables you can chop all the vegetables finely,add little bit of cheese on top and make it into a roll.
- You can make food look better. I have a lot of cookie cutters to cut roti, puri, vegetables and fruits in different shapes.
- Try and eat with your child.When they see you eat, they also eat.
- Once your child is 2.5 years plus don't make separate a meal for him. Let him eat what you are eating. This will help him to understand that he has to eat what is made at home and everyone is eating the same thing.
- Teach him from where the food comes from. You can take him to a farm to show how the vegetables and fruits are grown.If you have space, you can even make a small vegetable garden at home and involve him in planting seeds, watering the plants,etc.
- Rewards, ( not bribes) can be motivational.You can make a sticker chart. Give your child a sticker for eating new foods. When he has collected a few stickers, reward him with a prize.
- Cut out all the distractions. It is easy to put on some cartoon or rhymes but let him understand that he has to sit with everyone at the dining table and eat.
- When dealing with a picky eater, remember to keep calm and try some of the evidence-based tips listed above.
With the right approach, your child will grow to accept and appreciate many different types of food over time.
#toddlerfood #toddler #fussyeater